Friday 6 July 2012

It's "Game On" at ACMI, with the Game Masters

Being members of Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) has its privileges. One being able to have events like the "Game Masters member event". A 6:30pm start, where for $16 drinks and canapes where served in Screen Worlds, with special guest Paul Callaghan in a quick Q&A, after which we could head to the exhibition till 8:30pm.

It was fantastic being able to roam the whole exhibition exclusively, with just other members, for a few hours. We were able to just go onto any game we wanted without waiting in any queues. It starts of with the arcade machines, moving onto the consoles and PC games, then into some new style of dancing game, finishing of with some game apps on iPads. It was great being able to play some pacman on an arcade machine, competing in a song off, and losing. Then going onto rock-band, and singing some classic Foo Fighters.

I would say my disappointment for the night was having my most favorite of all arcade games ever, being out of service, that being Elevator Action. For the whole week leading up to this night, the little boy inside me was just so hoping that Elevator Action would be one of the arcade games being on show at the Game Masters. You can just imagine my internal excitement when I got into the room and seeing the game sitting there, then only to be disappointment, when I run to the box to see the "out of order" sign.

Apart from my little boy disappointment, the night was a great evening, and will worth being an ACMI member. Thank you to ACMI for letting the members have exclusive time on the games. Also, fantastic canape at the start, with drinks, I think I nearly covered my membership cost just there. If you are a gaming fanatic or like me used to have an Atari glued to you in the eighties, then it is well worth going to Game Masters, and seeing the classics, along side some of the new game apps.

ACMI, thank you, and don't stop bringing these gaming events to Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment